Using the program - Using comparison results
Top 10 Similar Images
The Top 10 field appears after you compare images or open comparison results. Up to 10 images similar to the selected image in the gallery will be displayed here sorted by the level of similarity.
In the context menu (right-click the Top 10 field) the following items are available:
Copy selected images to...
.You can select one or several images and copy them to the necessary place on your computer. After you have selected the "Copy selected images" item, the dialog will appear prompting you to select the folder, into which the selected images will be stored
Move selected images to...
To move the selected images, select the "Move selected images" item in the context menu. Then, the dialog will appear prompting you to select the folder, into which you want to move the image.
Remove from Top 10.
Select this item to remove the image from the "Top 10" group. The file is not physically deleted!
Delete selected image(s) file.
If you want to delete images from the computer, first select the images to delete (you can select multiple images by holding the "Ctrl" key). After the images are selected, invoke the context menu. In order to preserve the selection, invoke the context menu by right-clicking over any of the selected images. In the context menu, select the "Delete selected image files" item. The files will be physically deleted from the disk, gallery and result table.
"Image pairs" Tab
This tab is used to control images in the comparison results.
The tab has two preview images, a table listing pairs of similar images (only those images are displayed, which satisfy the search criteria), the "Actions" button and similarity ratio (above the "Actions" button). There is a special result filtering control(slider) placed below these controls. If you move it to the position of 98%, only image pairs with the similarity percentage of 98 and greater will be displayed. If you need to set a filter from 98 to 99, hold Shift button pressed while moving the slider.
If you want to display two images in full screen mode, there are several ways to do this: double-click any of the images, select the context menu (right-click over any of the images) and select the "Show both in fullscreen" item, or double-click the corresponding line in the table. Regardless of how you did that, the program will display the selected images in full screen mode. In this mode, you can mark the images in the comparison result table. To do this, simply click the image. To leave the full screen mode, press "Esc", or click the cross in the top right corner.
To change the mark for the image, invoke the context menu (by right-clicking this image) and select the "Toggle image mark" item, or simply mark it in the table. To select several images, use the "Ctrl" key.
To delete all marks automatically, do the following: invoke the context menu by pressing the "Actions" button or right-clicking on the table and select the "Remove all marks" item. Quick launch: "Ctrl" + "Alt"+ "M".
After you have selected the images, you can rename, move, delete and copy them.
- Rename. To rename the image file, open the context menu by right-clicking the image and select the "Rename image file" item. A dialog will appear prompting you for the new file name.
- Delete. To delete the selected image, invoke the context menu (by right-clicking the image) and select the "Delete image" item. If you want to delete several images at once, first select (mark) them, invoke the "Actions" menu by pressing the "Actions" button or right-clicking on the table. Then, the images will be physically deleted. Quick launch: "F8".
- Copy images. If you want to copy images into another folder, select the images and invoke the "Actions" menu by pressing the "Actions" button or right-clicking on the table. Then, select the "Copy marked images to..." item. A dialog with the list of folders will appear, prompting you to select the folder, into which the images will be copied. Quick launch: "F5".
- Move images. This works the same as copying images but the program will delete the images from the original location. Quick launch: "F6".
If you selected some file operation for the marked files, you'll be prompted with the special confirmation window, where you can review the files list with the image preview to be affected. So, you will never delete an important file if you accidentally marked it.
The "Mark images with higher quality" item of the "Actions" menu is used to automatically determine and mark the best image in the pair. If the images are 100% similar, both of them will be selected. Quick launch: "Ctrl" + "M".
If you want to delete the selected pairs from the result list, invoke the "Actions" menu by pressing the "Actions" button or right-clicking on the table. Then, select the "Remove selected pairs from results" item. The images are not deleted physically. Quick launch: "Del". You can also remove all marked images from the results. To do this, select the following item in the menu: "Remove marked images from results". Quick launch: "Shift" + "F8".
The program can store comparison log into a text file. The entire result table will be stored in the following format: "Full filename of the first file","Full filename of the second file", Similarity ratio. To store the log, invoke the "Actions" menu by pressing the "Actions" button or right-clicking on the table and select the "Save comparison log" item. In the new dialog, specify the path and filename of the log.
The program can also automatically mark images based on some criteria. To do this, left-click on the header of the column containing marks. As a result, the following menu will appear:
- Sort by mark. Select this item to perform list sorting based on whether the images are marked.
- Invert marks for the column. In this case the program will mark unmarked images and unmark marked images. This is useful if you want to select a large portion of images: you can mark those images, which must not be selected and use this function.
- Mark exact duplicates in the column. In this case the program will mark all images, which have similarity ratio equal to 100 in the selected column.
You are able to look at image difference highlighted with Image Comparer.
Technically, the comparison results are stored as a database in a file with ICR extension. The database stores links to images, similarity ratios and marks.