How to catalog audiobooks using All My Books
All My Books is an all-in-one book cataloger. Using this application, you can catalog audiobooks, e-books, or printed books. Read this article to learn how to catalog audiobooks. First, download and install All My Books. It's easy to do, just click the button below:
Installation File for Windows Vista/7/8/10FREE DOWNLOAD
Add books to your catalog
You have probably installed and launched the application. What's next? Start creating your own book catalog! Most likely, the application opened a demo catalog with some dummy books. To get rid of them, press CTRL-A to select all books, and then press Delete to delete them.
If you need to add a few audiobooks to an existing collection, click "Book -> Add Audio Book..." in the menu or press CTRL-F3. The application will prompt you to specify the audiobook files that you want to add to your collection. You can select multiple files to add them all at once. If you select multiple files, the application will ask you whether they are part of one audiobook or should be added as separate books.
All My Books will try to extract as much information as possible from the files being added. Some audiobook formats contain a cover image, while others do not. In most cases you don't have to manually enter each audiobook's title, author, and duration, because All My Books usually can do that for you! If the automatically extracted data is not sufficient, you can load more information about the audiobook from certain websites. For more details, please read the article about cataloging printed books.
Now let's get down to the main part. Of course, you can add books to the collection one by one, but what if you have hundreds or even thousands of them? Don't worry, All My Books can help you! If you need to add a lot of books, click "Book -> Scan drive/device for books..." in the menu. Specify a folder (or a whole disk) to search for audiobook files of known formats. If you want to search for audiobooks on your player device, make sure to connect it to the computer via USB before selecting the above menu item. In that case, All My Books will allow you to specify a folder on the device. Let's take a closer look at the Book Search dialog box:
In the dialog box, select "Audio books" or "E-books" (in this case, "Audio books|). Basically, these are two file type sets. In the "File name extensions to search for" text field, you can enter file types to search for, separated by a comma. Add or remove file extensions from that text field as necessary, and then press Enter to repeat the search. The found files for adding to the collection are displayed in the list at the center of the dialog box. If you do not want to add some files from the list to your collection, select them, and then press Delete key or click the "Remove" button.
If some books from the scanned folder have already been added to the collection, there is no need to add them again, so click the "Remove existing" button. The application will remove any files that already exist in your collection from the list.
Sometimes you may delete book files from the disk, but they may still be present in the All My Books collection. To remove all non-existing books from the catalog, click the "Find deleted" button. The application will check all books in your current collection for the existence of their respective files on the disk. If the application doesn't find the physical files, it will prompt you to remove the respective books from the collection.
All My Books supports automatic search for new audiobook files. If you check the "Perform scan for new book files on program start" checkbox, each time you launch the application, it will scan the specified folder and prompt you to add the new books (if any). If you want to turn off this option, click "Book -> Scan drive/device for books..." in the menu and uncheck the checkbox.
If you check the "Open book card before saving details" checkbox, you can manually add some information for each book (for example, a rating). Anyway, you can add more information later, after adding all audiobooks to the catalog.
If you need to add audiobooks that consist of multiple files, check the "Add all files in the folder as one book" checkbox. In that case, the application will attach all files from each folder to a separate book, sum up the file sizes, and sum up the durations.
It should be noted that you can import an existing collection. For example, if you already have a book list in MS Excel, you can import it to All My Books by clicking "Tools -> Import from -> Import from MS Excel..." in the menu.
Now you know how to create an audiobook catalog using All My Books.
When the audiobook catalog is ready, you can fully enjoy its advantages!
- Launch an audio player for any audiobook directly from the All My Books catalog! Click the "Open Book" button in the toolbar or in the book details area, and All My Books will launch the application associated with the book's file type as specified in the "Local path" field in the Book Card dialog box. In most cases, your favorite audio player will be started. If the book consists of multiple audio files, the application will prompt you to select a specific file or open a playlist containing all files of the book. You can change the file order in the playlist by using the "Customize the playlist" option:
Here's a hint: Hold the Shift key while clicking the "Open Book" button, and instead of launching an audio player, the application will open the folder containing the files of the book.
- All My Books can also copy audiobooks to any player device, smartphone, external hard drive, USB stick, etc. Just connect the device to your computer via USB and click "Tools -> Tranfer books to device..." in the menu.
- The application has an interesting feature: It can rename audiobook files by using a template. If you want your files to have pretty standardized names, click "Tools -> Rename book files..." in the menu.
- You can easily find a book by using a number of search criteria. To search for a book, press F3. The application allows you to search by all catalog fields or by specified ones only.
- If you do not like the default "grid" look of your collection, no problem! You can switch between the available catalog-displaying options by using the "View" menu. Hopefully, you will be impressed by the "Virtual shelf" and "Cover flow" modes.
- To view statistics for your collection, click "Tools -> Statistics" in the menu or press F5. You can learn a lot of interesting things: The most popular genre in your collection, the most popular authors, the total number of books, and many more.
- All My Books is a very flexible application. It allows you to view your catalog in different ways. For example, you can group books by genre, author, or many other criteria. Just click "View -> Group books by" in the menu and specify the criteria.
Thanks a lot for reading this article! Love books, read them, and listen to them!
Our customer say
"We downloaded this software after reviewing a myriad of other application on this subject. My wife and I are ( and have been ) avid readers and collectors over the years and both amassed quite a large collection of books. We recently built a library in our living room and wanted something to record what we actually HAVE in our collection. After just half an hour of downloading the demo of this software, we immediately purchased it. The interface is VERY user friendly, the ISBN input makes recording your book EXTREMELY easy, fast, and utterly complete (including a synopsis of what the book is actually about)."
Kel & Sue Lambright - Rating: 4.8 -